Thursday, July 15, 2010

Can I use PXE to boot the System Recovery CD?

Can I use PXE to boot the System Recovery CD?
I have an old laptop which internal DVD drive was damaged. The preinstalled operating system is Windows XP Home Edition sp1. My old laptop come with 3 recovery CDs, and two of them must be used during the recovery process. That means after using Disc 1, I have to insert Disc 2 for recovery process. Can I use PXE to boot the System Recovery? Any website for references? For your information, My old laptop is Benq Joybook 5000U. Please explain in details. My laptop support PXE booting, but does not support booting from USB CD/DVD-rom. I have another Windows XP computer.
Other - Computers - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Probably, though I've only done it with linux. The basic idea is that you need to make sure PXE is selected as one of your boot options (it can be behind the others in boot order like: CD, HDD, PXE, but then you have to make sure that the system won't try to boot from any of those save the last). Next you set up a TFTP server that will serve the boot image for the target machine. For the newly booted system to be able to find your TFTP server, you'll probably have to set up a special rule in DHCP that directs the target to the TFTP server's address. If everything is set up correctly, your computer will enter PXE, find that it needs to download its OS image from the TFTP server, download the image and finally it'll install and boot. It sounds more complicated than it is.

Read more discussions: