Monday, November 8, 2010

What computer should I buy?

What computer should I buy?
I am in the market for a new laptop and recently bought a Dell XPS m1530. However, the hard-drive crashed after 5 days. Dell replaced the computer and when I opened the computer, the spacebar key was broken. I sent it back as well and am now back to square one. The Dell was $2150 (improved graphics card, screen, blu-ray player, etc...). I want to spend around this for my complete setup, however, now instead of having blu-ray on my computer, I am going to buy a PS3 and a BenQ monitor. So, now I'm considering the Gateway M6864FX (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8907043&st=gateway&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1213046783376), a Dell studio 15 or a Dell XPS M1330. I am wondering if I should trust Dell again after the two issues I have had with them, but also I don't know if a Gateway is a wise investment. Which is the best buy, and do you have any other suggestions for similar computers? I forgot to add, I plan on using the computer for law school in a few months, as well, I play Wow, flight sim x, and some steam games. Kabuki, does that mean if i buy a Dell from dell.com and it breaks, i can take it to best buy and they'll fix it?
Laptops & Notebooks - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
i have an ancient dell from a former job. it works fine still. i had another dell laptop from my last job. that worked fine. I like gateway a lot. it's the best buy for a moderate budget. in fact right now I'm writing this on my gateway laptop MX8711. I love it. see reviews.cnet.com
2 :
Looks like Dell has done great job of fixing problem. I would stick with them. I have 3 Dells and not a speck of trouble with them. None in all my years at work using Dells either. PS Best Buy handles warranty fro any Dell computers they sell... Q: Who can I contact if I need technical support? A: If you need support for your personal computer, please contact any Best Buy store. The Geek Squad from Best Buy has been authorized by Dell to provide technical support and warranty service for your new Dell personal computer. You can also contact Dell for basic technical support.
3 :
If I were you, I would steer clear of gateway. They would not have done half the job that dell did of replacement. You could also look at possibly sony vaio, or even HP. But if I were you, I would go back to dell. I've had nothing but good experiences with them.
4 :
i am writing on a gateway M-6864FX. i bought last week from best buy. it was 999.99 and now its 750. i really like it. great specs good graphics card. there is also an HDMI port which is very useful. the only downside is the 200 gb hard drive (i was hoping for something a but bigger...i bought a 500 gb external drive with it) the laptop looks really nice. its stylish and different from all the dell and hp clones. solid. the keyboard flex that you may read about is not much of a problem for me, i barely notice it. the gateway is by far the best value of the three laptops. i dont have any experience on the customer service so i cant comment on that. the FX will be more than adequate for your games and at 750 it will leave plenty of room in your budget for a PS3. i hope i was able to help.

Read more discussions: